That having been said, the virtues of having a (nourishing) daily grooming regime are certainly aplenty (and deserving of a feature unto themselves) while the critical role skincare continually plays in going hand-in-hand with being both well put-together and sartorially impeachable is simply beyond reproach.
Be that as it may, I’m here today to champion the notion that grooming — which is far too often either neglected, overcompensated for, or simply carelessly relegated to the annals of active responsibility — need not be perceived as such a chore whilst likewise (and idealistically) also hastening you to the tasks of investing in (and curating) a fine dopp kit and developing a fully-fledged daily regimen of your own that will not only pay immediate dividends but also impart a touch of elegance as well as add a true sense of occasion and indulgence to what is otherwise a (profoundly) mundane affair.
Because failing to properly address the ever-evolving needs and uniqueness of your skin— in character, upkeep, nurturing and deteriorative prevention — may very well quickly spell doom for (or prove the foil to) not only your future prospects and overall (enduring) health but also that of your fastidiously curated wardrobe and (elegantly refined) sartorial persona.
Tack on to that the unnerving (or rather troubling) possibility that your current go-to grooming staples may well not be serving you as well as they should and it should become even more readily apparent as to why going beyond the basics — to steadying yourself to the task of fine-tuning your grooming regimen — should be considered a nonnegotiable prerogative for any self-respecting (and style-conscious) modern gentleman. As such, I believe daily grooming should be held in the same quintessential regard as is getting dressed, working out and eating healthy.
Framed in such a manner, the importance of a healthy grooming regimen that goes beyond a simple moisturizer, one that replenishes, smoothes, nourishes and that can effectively turn back the hands of time, in addition to a fine vessel (i.e. dopp kit/wash bag) in which to house the tools of the trade that ensure that tangible feasibility, cannot be overstated.
Hailing from contemporary mavericks such as Malin + Goetz , Aesop and Clinique as well as revered heritage labels in the vein of D. R. Harris, Buly 1803 and Kiehl’s alike, whilst also being ably positioned to work wonders whether day or night, in the warmth or cold, and against a variety of harmful plights such as air pollution, environmental toxins and natural aging, here are the grooming staples (most being presented in practical travelling sizes) that every gent should have in heavy rotation — to clean, lather, buff, scrub, shave, stimulate, smooth and prevent — that are about as close a guarantee as you are likely to get in regards to keeping your skin looking as well kempt and soft to the touch as is your signature form of dress in all its glory, sustained deportment and (ideally) timeless fashionability.
Each is, after all and at its best, a specialized wunderkind that has been purposefully crafted to — in the grander scheme of personal style —work in tandem with a healthy diet and lifestyle in helping you age with considerable grace and dignity in tact — a little attention to detail goes a long way after all.
And as luck would have it, these products nail the little details like none other…
Whether its a luxurious safety razor from either London’s D.R. Harris (a revered heritage label with a royal warrant that has long been beloved by both British royalty and gentlemen alike) or grooming specialists Baxter of California (above), an invigorating shaving serum from Australia’s Aesop (which will render your skin a smooth canvas primed for a close shave), a pure badger brush and handsome shaving bowl (both of which will bring an elegant touch to your shaving routine), all natural styling foam (that holds and packs a punch), a revolutionary manual nose/ear trimmer (to keep the small things tidy and presentable), an ageless tortoiseshell folding comb (that will ensure you continually cut a dash even when on the move), or simply dry hair texture powder that can instantly give your locks an injection of life and energy at but a moments notice, these are some of the finest shaving and haircare products (many of which I currently use myself) on the market that come not only with my personal seal of approval but also positive (nearly across the board) word-of-mouth and reviews.
1. Both moisturizer and/or hand cream can be used to smooth out erratic hairs when matters atop your head have otherwise taken a turn for the worse and you are left in dire straights
2. If you are amongst those who, and for the lack of a better word, manscapes, it may be of interest to learn that you can use a (hair) conditioner in lieu of shaving cream when addressing the state of affairs below the belt (Bonus: it saves your nether regions from the cooling splash of menthol that is present in most shaving creams)
3. Indulged in onions or garlic at lunch/dinner? Chewing on parsley after the fact can help conceal bad breath if you don’t have access to either a mouthwash or toothbrush
4. Carelessly nicked, cut or scraped yourself? (Black) Pepper can be used to seal small gashes should bleeding persist and there is no (ideally liquid) bandaid in sight (just sprinkle it on the wound and watch in amazement as it makes quick work in becoming a makeshift seal)
5. Suffer from chafing, acne outbreaks, or visibly dry skin? Vaseline can help prevent the former (apply some on your thighs/chest/armpits in the heat), Visine negate the second (stop outbreaks in their tracks by applying directly upon the zit), while a dab of organic virgin coconut oil will supplement the latter by energizing and hydrating your skin like a moisturizer.
6. Shaving your neck (and taming its erratic hair growth) is an often overlooked grooming charge that will not only ensure you continually look sharp and dashing but also extend the life of your haircut by days (if not weeks)
7. Its best to avoid threading (or worse yet, excessively cutting) your eyebrows. The alternative? Simply comb them straight and finely pluck any strays that land outside the natural shape (or contour) of your brow (or arch)
8. Suffering from a recurring issue with dark spots, sagging or puffiness in your eyes? Dark spot correctors (and eye de-puffers) are known to work wonders in this regard as is properly hydrating with water and/or turning to the simple trick of applying a frozen spoon (taken from your freezer) to the area in question — the latter of which will instantly firm up the skin and give relief to sagging or puffy eyes at no addition cost to you
9. Applying a detoxifying clay mask (preferably once a week) is something you should strongly consider as it will coax out oil from the deepest recesses upon your face, tighten pores, reduce redness and dryness, restore evenness to your complexion, and ultimately provide better balance (especially for those with oily skin) across your full facial spectrum — it is about as close a "reset" button to looking good that one cam universally find
10. And last, but certainly not least, many gentlemen swear by the renowned mental (and energy) sharpening powers of Berocca vitamin supplements…and so should you. (Bonus: They are also well known to be amongst the finest hangover cures in existence)
Why? Because attire (i.e. clothing/accoutrements) in and of themselves cannot make up for, nor disguise, crow’s feet, chapped hands, puffy eyes, or excessively oily or blotchy skin (to name but four immediate plights of grooming neglect that instantly come to mind).
That having been said, proper grooming is one of the few fundamentally undervalued essential habits — perhaps deserving of written daily ordinance? — that applies to every and anyone yet is something that is so very often neglected by the masses at-large as there is no one-size fits all solution nor miracle panacea to ascribe to — no easy route to guaranteed success as it were.
And yet it nevertheless stands to reason that most of us (if not all) are acutely aware that proper grooming is as essential to being perceived as a stylish gent as is a perfectly cut and elegantly draped bespoke three-piece suit. So much so, in fact, that I would wager most would share my opinion that healthy skin, good oral/body hygiene and tidy grooming leave just as much of an enduring mark upon the world (in bespeaking unto our character) as do our signature wardrobes — people will remember you for an untamed mane or gangly finger nails as much as (if not more then) they will for your well-tailored wardrobe.
Viewed in such a vein the important of (at the bare minimum) moisturizing, hydrating, renewing and purifying your skin, whilst performing all manner of grooming peculiarities (i.e. shaving, cutting nails, etc.) on a weekly (if not daily) basis, should be readily apparent.
: The Drugstore/Budget Dopp Kit :
But, where should you begin?
Well, and beyond a fine moisturizer to build your foundation and curated dopp kit upon, by simply perusing this (admittedly beginners) guide, and investing in any manner of popular/tried-and-true products recommended therein, you will have taken that crucial first step in the right direction to either (1) fully realizing the importance of a fully-fledged (and unique) grooming routine or (2) further supplementing/upgrading that in which you already have in place.
These are, after all, proven grooming stalwarts that gentlemen worldwide continually swear by; revered building blocks that are widely considered to be amongst the most effective (i.e. well-documented with lengthy track records of success), streamlined and essential staples in which one should prioritize and successfully (as well as reassuringly) fashion his grooming routine and future prospects upon.
All that having been said, grooming (when all is said and done) in itself needn’t be too difficult nor a task burdened by the notion of perpetual experimentation (i.e. a lesson futility) granted that you both apply the effort needed and readily equip yourself with the finest tools of the trade in which will help you sustain your youthful vigour and minimize (perhaps even undo in some instances) the ravages of time.
Not likely as (at the moment) the perpetual development of youthful regenerative cells akin to Mr. Gray’s (without the aid of an aging portrait that is) are a (natural) genetic impossibility.
What it will do, however, is dutifully aid you in aging with grace and dignity by warding off not only premature aging and the development of cancerous growths but all manner of invasive pollutants and free radicals that would otherwise see fit in plaguing your skin, shaking your confidence, and undoing your fastidiously curated sartorial persona.
An ounce of prevention, as they say, is worth a pound of cure after all.
Share your thoughts, opinions and grooming ad libs…
Share below or perhaps ask a question if you are so inclined and I will be sure to answer promptly…
ENJOYED THE READ? YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: